University of Hull
Privacy Notice – Development and Alumni Relations Office
Our contact details
Name: University of Hull
Address: Cottingham Road, Hull, HU6 7RX
Phone Number: 01482 346311
This notice applies to information relating to alumni, donors and supporters (including honorary graduates, individuals who have signed up to the Hull Alumni Association, donors, supporters and prospective supporters and individuals who register or attend alumni events). The Development and Alumni Relations Office exist to establish and develop lifelong relationships with our alumni, donors and supporters. The aim is to help you stay connected with the each other, the University, alumni news stories, events, reunions, fundraising and philanthropic priorities and volunteering opportunities.
The purpose of this privacy notice is to explain how the University of Hull holds and uses personal data about alumni, donors and supporters (you) and how we use it for the purposes of fundraising and alumni relations activities.
The type of personal information we collect
Most of the information we hold is about alumni (former students), and is provided to the University by the individuals themselves, but we also record contact details of non-graduates who are donors or supporters of the University.
We may collect and process the following information:
- Biographical and contact details:
Your name (including maiden name), postal and/or email address, telephone number, date of birth, gender, marital status, spousal information and student number.
- Education and professional details:
Course title, dates of study, results, qualifications from the University of Hull and/or details of further study at other institutions.
Place of work, job title, salary, location and dates of employment.
- Information about your giving:
History of your donations, gift instructions, gift amount, gift date, direct debit details, gift aid eligibility, correspondence about a gift and our understanding of your philanthropic interests.
- Communication and engagement details:
- Email correspondence, summary of notable meetings/phone calls, event registrations and attendance, notable media regarding prospects, contact reports pertaining to ‘in memory’ gifts, legacy gifts, major gifts or estate planning.
- Communication preferences.
- Attendance at events across the University, including any payments made, photographs, audio and video recordings in which you may be included.
- Membership of University social media groups e.g. LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter.
- Third parties:
- Hull Alumni Connects is hosted by Graduway, new registrations to this site will be shared with the University of Hull.
- Boost crowdfunding platform is hosted by Graduway, donations and information pertaining to the individual made to this site will be shared with the University of Hull.
Communications made between student scholarship recipients may be shared with an external trust, foundation or donor.
- Surveys collecting personal data will be hosted by JISC surveys and all responses will be shared with the University of Hull.
- Third party providers are contracted to carry out all direct mail and telephone campaigns.
- Fundraising Campaigns:
All alumni selected to be contacted for fundraising campaigns will be recorded alongside individual responses to the contact made and any updated personal details.
- Research on trustees of charitable trusts:
Individuals who have a relationship to relevant trusts, foundations and corporates which are of interest or support the University of Hull may be recorded. This may include, job title, start date, organisation name, name, career, interests, relationship with the University, charitable/voluntary work, contact details.
- Index of Multiple Deprivation (IMD) scores:
Analysis may be carried out on donors’ engagement with the University of Hull and their IMD score
- Protected characteristics:
Where necessary to do so, if any requirements are highlighted on event registrations (e.g. wheelchair user, specific access needs, allergies) or where any other specific request is made, a note may be retained with your consent to do so.
How we collect personal information and why we have it
Most of the personal information we process is provided to us directly by the individual (during conversations, receiving business cards, completing our Blackbaud or JISC forms, self-updates or by making a donation) for one of the following reasons:
- To maintain a record of study at the University and manage data on degree history, course accreditation
- To manage ongoing relationships and development work
- To manage the delivery of events (if registered for an event)
- To offer personalised and effective donor stewardship
- To support with prospect identification
- To support alumni networking and alumni career support
- To maintain records for financial audits
We also receive personal information indirectly, from the following sources in the following scenarios:
- Student record management system, SITS at the point of graduation and on a continuous basis with any updates made directly in SITS
- Online sources such as LinkedIn, Google or press releases
- Subscription services, Nexis UK News Search for the purpose of prospect research
- IMD government sources gov.uk
We use the information that we collect and process in order to:
- Keep in touch with alumni via email, phone, post or social media for the purpose of sharing University updates, events, campaigns, alumni news stories, opportunity to update details, networks, jobs and volunteering
- Carry out internal reporting (accreditation, course statistics, career destinations, HESA returns, Ross CASE benchmarking survey)
- Approve registrations to online Hull communities (Hull Alumni Connects and online professional networks)
- Steward gifts effectively and process gifts
- Identify prospects (this is somebody who has been identified as a potential donor for a project based on their philanthropic interests and/or their ability and willingness to give)
- To introduce students to the trust or foundation/donor who funded their scholarship or bursary
- To give a background to meetings and fundraising approaches and asks.
We may share part or all information with:
- Employees with a need to know basis
- University of Hull staff/faculties/departments
- Blackbaud the supplier of our database (The Raiser’s Edge) and marketing and communications platform (NetCommunity)
- Graduway the supplier of Hull Alumni Connects online platform and crowdfunding site
- Buffalo the supplier to carry out telephone and direct mail campaigns
Where we share data with an organisation who acts as ‘processor’ on our behalf this will be done so in accordance with Data Protection and security requirements in place.
The legal basis for processing your data
We will only use your personal data where law allows us to do so. Most commonly we rely on the following legal bases for processing your personal data:
- Where we have a legitimate interest to do so for the purposes listed within this Notice. Using Legitimate Interest as the basis, this will be carefully considered to ensure that we take into account your rights and that this is the most efficient and effective way to process.
- Where the University believes that by supporting University Development and Alumni Relations activities it is conducting something in the public interest. In particular it is supporting the University’s charitable object of education and the benefits to society.
- To perform the contract we have entered into with you. Information processed for this purpose includes, but is not limited to, the information you provide when you enable us to process a donation, register for an event or enroll as a student.
- Comply with our legal obligations such as statutory returns to Office for Students, the Charity Commission or reclamation of gift aid on your donations.
- Where consent is required, for example where sensitive personal data is recorded.
How we store your personal information
Your information is securely stored within the University of Hull network or with one of the aforementioned third party partners.
As we hope to maintain a lifelong relationship with you we will keep much of the data indefinitely. The information will be retained in The Raiser’s Edge and only accessible by those that have a requirement to maintain contact with you, unless you tell us you no longer wish us to maintain contact. In this instance we will remove the majority of your personal data just retaining a shell record of degree, name and date of birth to ensure that we do not create a new record for some reason in the future and to assist you should you need to be in contact with the University in the future.
Some information is reviewed and deleted when no longer required for intended purpose.
Information from JISC Surveys will be deleted one year after the survey is used.
NetCommunity lists (email addresses, names and ID no.) will be deleted every 5 years from NetCommunity.
Other data will be held in accordance with the University of Hull Retention Policy.
Your data protection rights
Under data protection law, you have rights including:
Your right of access – You have the right to ask us for copies of your personal information.
Your right to rectification – You have the right to ask us to rectify personal information you think is inaccurate. You also have the right to ask us to complete information you think is incomplete.
Your right to erasure – You have the right to ask us to erase your personal information in certain circumstances.
Your right to restriction of processing – You have the right to ask us to restrict the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances.
Your right to object to processing – You have the the right to object to the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances.
Your right to data portability – You have the right to ask that we transfer the personal information you gave us to another organisation, or to you, in certain circumstances.
The Rights are not absolute and we may be entitled to refuse requests when there are valid exceptions.
You are not required to pay any charge for exercising your rights. If you make a request, we have one month to respond to you.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or in writing to Development and Alumni Relations Office, University of Hull, Venn Building, Hull, HU6 7RX if you wish to make a request.
How to complain
If you have any concerns about our use of your personal information, you can make a complaint to us at Development and Alumni Relations Office, University of Hull, Venn Building, Hull, HU6 7RX or email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also complain to the ICO if you are unhappy with how we have used your data.
The ICO’s address:
Information Commissioner’s Office
Cheshire SK9 5AF
Helpline number: 0303 123 1113
ICO website: https://www.ico.org.uk